What Type of Doctor Can Help Treat My Lower Abdominal Pain?

Gastrointestinal symptoms associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) like bloating, constipation and lower abdominal pain can overlap with or serve as warning signs of other women’s health conditions like endometriosis, ovarian cancer, and pelvic floor disorders that also impact the bladder. But how can women tell what is causing their lower abdominal pain and know what type of doctor can help them find relief? In this episode, we are joined by Dr. Pooja Singhal, a Gastroenterologist and Dr. Arielle Allen, a Urogynecologist, who explain the various signs and symptoms they look for to determine whether lower abdominal discomfort is a GI issue, a pelvic floor issue, or an issue specific to women. The doctors also share some tips for patients so they are better prepared for their next medical appointment in order to help their healthcare provider make the diagnosis quicker and determine the treatment path without delays.

Listen Now!

Watch the Video Version of this Episode

Featured Guests in this Episode

Pooja Singhal, MD, FACG, DABOM

Pooja Singhal, MD, FACG, DABOM is a board-certified Gastroenterologist and Director of Women’s Digestive Health at SSM Health St. Anthony Hospital. She completed her medical school training at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine and an Internal medicine residency at the Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC. Dr. Singhal received her fellowship training in Gastroenterology at the Georgetown University hospital as well, where she was selected as Chief Resident and Chief Gastroenterology Fellow.

Dr. Arielle Allen


Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Listen to our
latest Podcast!